Public Policy Wins to Benefit Communities: The Roles for Mission Investors in 2021
When it comes to making positive change, public policies codify shared agreements and accelerate priorities, potentially driving significant gains for communities. This Mission Investors Exchange 90-minute webinar on February 3rd shed light on the opportunities mission investors have to advance policies that leverage private capital for urgently needed public good. The webinar kicked off with an overview from Fran Seegull of The U.S. Impact Investing Alliance’s new publication, Private Capital, Public Good — which identifies recommendations for policymakers in Washington — followed by a fireside chat exploring the following questions and more:
In the new Congress and Presidential Administration how can we build not only the infrastructure needed for more just and equitable communities but also mend the fractures we face as a nation?
What new or strengthened public policies can reverse the hollowing out of Black, Latino, Indigenous, urban and rural communities that have for generations been excluded from the dividends of economic growth?
In the urgency for a just and equitable recovery from the COVID-19 pandemic, what roles can foundations play to increase capital flowing to and through Community Development Financial Institutions (CDFIs) and Minority Depository Institutions (MDIs)?
Scroll down the page for webinar speaker names and curated resources on impact investing and public policy.
- Shena Ashley, Vice President, Nonprofits and Philanthropy, Urban Institute
- Melanie Audette, Senior Vice President, Mission Investors Exchange
- Lisa Mensah, President & CEO, Opportunity Finance Network
- Fran Seegull, Executive Director, The U.S. Impact Investing Alliance
Policy Recommendations to Scale Impact Investing
The list of resources below features policy recommendations for the federal government to advance social and environmental change by leveraging impact investing. Contact Laila Hussain at [email protected] if you have resources to add!
- A report by the U.S. Impact Investing Alliance outlining 12 policy recommendations that can spur impact investments intended to address urgent social and environmental challenges.
- A set of recommendations by US SIF intended to help achieve a more just, sustainable economy and implement a framework for the private sector to contribute in addition to government leadership.
- A discussion paper by Pacific Community Ventures examining how impact investing policy can be used to help private capital address inequality and support COVID-19 recovery efforts in the U.S.
- A policy memo by Social Finance proposing outcomes-based funding as a powerful tool for the federal government to advance economic mobility, improve health, and build a more effective government.
- A series of white papers by Sorenson Impact Center exploring federal policy options to scale the impact investing market by unlocking catalytic capital.
Impact Investing and Public Policy Learning Resources
Looking to expand your knowledge around the impact investing and public policy landscape, and how you can engage? The list below contains resources to help you get started. Contact Laila Hussain at [email protected] if you have resources to add.
- A guide by the Urban Institute intended to help impact investors better understand and engage in the policymaking process and champion impact investing to federal legislative and executive policymakers.
- An overview of the post-election impact investing ecosystem, how government and philanthropy can support the shift toward an impact economy, and more, featuring MIE CEO Matt Onek.
- A Virtual Learning Opportunity recording for MIE members in which Glenmede and the Investment Company Institute discuss the impact of a Biden-led administration on key issues around sustainable investing.
- An Advocacy Toolkit developed by Council on Foundations intended to help foundations and partners learn why and how to effectively use advocacy and lobbying to advance mission investing.
MIE's Impact Investing and Public Policy Series
This webinar was part of MIE's Impact Investing and Public Policy Series, a set of virtual learning and engagement opportunities focused on impact investing, public policy, and government. Click here to learn more about the series and view upcoming events, presented in partnership with The U.S. Impact Investing Alliance, Opportunity Finance Network, Urban Institute, U.S. Economic Development Administration, and the Council on Foundations.