PRI Pulse: A Study of Minnesota Foundation PRIs 1998-2016
The PRI Pulse is an ambitious research project undertaken by Venn Foundation to learn how Minnesota private foundations have historically used Program-Related Investments (PRIs) from 1998 to 2016.
Findings from the research include:
- PRI activity was higher than many expected, but overall PRIs clearly remain underutilized.
- From 1998 to 2016, 39 Minnesota private foundations invested over $164 million in 554 PRIs.
- Each year, on average, 11 Minnesota private foundations invested $8.7 million in 29 PRIs.
- Most PRI activity was conducted by a very small group of Minnesota private foundations.
- PRIs comprise a tiny fraction of all private foundation charitable distributions in Minnesota and of overall charitable giving in the state.
- Private foundations in Greater Minnesota conducted a disproportionate share of PRI activity.
- The top three issue areas for PRIs were economic development, human services, and education.