May 2021 | Field News & Resources
This page features this month's highlights, announcements, resources, and general news related to advancements in the impact investing field.
- Rockefeller Foundation and the Private Infrastructure Development Group announce a catalytic capital investment in Acre Impact Capital to accelerate the company's strategic growth plans and support the launch of a number of private debt impact funds.
- Debra Schwartz, Managing Director of Impact Investments at the MacArthur Foundation shares how investing catalytic capital in the Women In Safe Homes Fund is fueling investment, innovation, and impact for women and their families.
- The Care for All with Respect and Equity Fund (CARE), which includes various MIE members, will invest $50 million over five years to build a universal publicly supported care infrastructure that will fuel the economy and promote equity.
- An article by Pioneers Post highlights the emerging movement of participatory funding, a practice that encourages funders to put decision-making power into the hands of their investees.
- A JD Supra article highlights how new legal structures are enabling foundations to move larger portions of their endowments to impact investments, and for-profit funds to establish affiliated entities focused on impact.
- A MarketWatch article discusses the benefit of recognizing impact-first investing as one more option on a returns continuum and how family investment offices have an important role to play in alleviating economic inequality and closing the wealth gap.
- An opinion piece by the Times of San Diego highlights the meaningful work of the recently-launched Philanthropy California Investment Collaborative, which aims to bring together foundations, public funds, individual investors, and corporations to bring capital to under-invested communities in California.
- In a podcast interview with SVCF's Senior Investments Officer James Cutler, Mission Driven Finance's Chief Investment Officer Louie Nguyen, and Social Finance's Vice President of Social Investment Jackie Khor, discuss how impact investing has become a critical tool in philanthropy and is leading investors to prioritize social good.
- Alongside Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan, PNC Bank announces a $7.5 million commitment to help create and preserve affordable housing through the Detroit Housing for the Future Fund.
- An article by Triple Pundit highlights Barclays' latest decision to withdraw from a financing deal for correctional facilities in Alabama.
- In an article by Giving Compass, MIE member Tequila Smith, President of The Alabama Power Foundation highlights their work with "place-based philanthropy" to generate greater collaboration among community members to invest in the creation, restoration, and improvement of shared assets.