New Island Capital Management, Inc. (NICM) is a San Francisco-based investment advisor, focused exclusively on investments delivering risk-adjusted financial returns while striving to accomplish environmental and social good. We have a long-term horizon, invest globally, and select investments across all asset classes.
The NICM Real Assets team is charged with creating a diversified, impact-driven portfolio with a broad domestic and international footprint across working lands, natural resources, and commercial real estate. The Vice President, Real Assets position will support mission-aligned investments in community-based forestry, sustainable & regenerative agriculture, and environmental markets, with a focus on investment research, due diligence, financial analysis, investment memorandum writing, deal structuring, legal documentation, and post-investment management of direct investments, as well as supporting and maintaining partnerships with joint venture sponsors and fund managers.
Evaluate investment opportunities by analyzing market trends, business models, and dealspecific investment risks, enabling NICM to make effective and analytically driven investment decisions.
Lead in-depth due diligence on prospective investments and operating partners.
Create robust dynamic financial models for potential and existing investments.
Participate in negotiating and structuring direct, joint venture, separate account, and fund investments, as well as other creative debt and equity structures.
Prepare well-organized written investment recommendations and oral presentations to support Investment Committee decision-making.
Contribute thoughtfully and fully to the ongoing interpretation and evolution of an impact real assets investment practice, including identifying themes, metrics, and theories of change as they apply to real assets and community/environmental benefit.
Become a content expert and in-house lead for target sectors or regions (e.g., organic permanent crop farmland investments in the US, international forestry investments, carbon offset credits).
Oversee one or more Associates who support real asset transactions.
- Minimum of three years of direct equity or debt investing experience, ideally with a focus on real assets or natural resources (agriculture, forestry, environmental markets, real estate).
- MBA, CFA, graduate degree in finance, and/or graduate degree in natural resources management, agriculture, forestry, or a related field.
- Strong understanding of financial modeling, including ability to build financial models in Microsoft Excel and interpret financial statements, as well as proficiency in asset valuation methods.
- Outstanding project management skills with high attention to detail while maintaining a big picture orientation, including the ability to work independently as well as within a team-oriented collaborative environment.
- Demonstrated potential to be creative, flexible, resourceful, and disciplined in supporting a complex, mission-driven investment plan.
- Comfortable working in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment with shared resources and without the analytical support or infrastructure generally available in larger organizations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and appropriate interpersonal style, including the ability to give effective public presentations, write thorough long-form investment memorandums, and build a positive rapport with colleagues and third parties.
- Most importantly, the successful candidate will have the highest standards of personal and professional ethics and integrity, as well as a strong work ethic and “team player” mentality.
Position requires travel regularly domestically (monthly or more) and occasionally internationally.
Prior experience in mission-focused investing is preferred, but, above all, NICM seeks to recruit an outstanding candidate who has a demonstrated passion for not only the investment business, but also for the organization’s mission and core values. Prior experience in emerging markets, impact investing, social enterprise, land management, energy, and/or policy work will be considered as positives.
NICM offers a competitive compensation package, including salary, bonus, and other benefits. This is a full-time position based in San Francisco, CA.
To apply, please send your cover letter and resume to [email protected]
with “VP – Real Assets” in the subject line.
Your cover letter should explain your qualifications for the position, relevant real assets experience, investment capabilities, and motivations and experience in achieving impactful solutions to environmental and social issues, particularly as they relate to working lands, forestry, agriculture, environmental markets, and/or other natural resources.
NICM is an Equal Opportunity Employer and counts diversity as one of its core values. We particularly encourage candidates from under-represented backgrounds to apply.