Avivar Capital (Avivar) is a U.S.-based SEC registered investment advisor focused exclusively on assisting institutional, public and private clients in the design, development and execution of impact investing strategies, portfolios and funds. The firm’s professionals bring domestic and international experience to serve as investment strategists, deal and fund structurers, asset managers, due diligence providers, coaches, trainers, market researchers, facilitators, and evaluators.
Avivar Capital is seeking mission-aligned, hard-working summer 2020 interns with demonstrated experience or interest in impact investing. Interns will support the team across the spectrum of Avivar’s work including but not limited to:
- Impact investment portfolio management including diligence, monitoring and reporting;
- Researching and assessing opportunities for impact investing and expanded SRI/ESG and shareholder activism strategies within client priority thematic interests and geographies; and
- A range of special projects to improve Avivar's internal processes and procedures, data management capabilities, and/or marketing and communications efforts.
Sample Duties and Responsibilities could include any of the following based on experience, interest, and firm need:
- Support impact investment due diligence on direct debt and equity as well as fund investments
- Analyze direct debt and equity as well as fund investment agreements to determine financial and social impact reporting requirements
- Complete individual investment and portfolio level analysis for client impact investment portfolio monitoring and reporting including identifying red flags and follow up questions
- Assure that all investment files are current and complete; obtain reports or documentation needed to perfect files
- Assist in analyzing firm due diligence and portfolio monitoring protocols across asset classes, and make recommendations for better integrating these as a coherent system
- Conduct research on current impact investing activities, investors and capacity building services within client priority markets
- Conduct sector specific, geographic specific and market trend research
- Identify impact investing gaps and challenges that offer the opportunity for additional investment in existing and/or new strategies
- Alignment with Avivar Capital's vision and values
- Currently working on or completed an MBA or master's degree in a related field (business, law, economics, international development, etc.)
- Minimum 1-3 years of work experience, preferably in finance, consulting, accounting, law or a related field
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize projects as well as complete assignments timely and accurately
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently with little oversight
- Team player with positive attitude and ability to collaborate effectively
- Highly proficient in Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
Summer opportunities are based in Los Angeles, California, where the firm hosts a speakers series to enhance learning on the range of approaches to impact investing as well as team outings to experience the city’s diverse culture. All interns will report to designated Avivar Managing Partners. Candidates for remote, part-time opportunities in the spring of 2020, may also be considered.
Avivar Capital is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity of perspective and background. All candidates will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.