Ariel Investments is a premier, boutique, asset management firm. Our primary goal is to drive exceptional investment returns by bringing diverse perspectives together. The only way to beat a benchmark is to not look like one. As value investors, our thinking is deliberate and unconventional. We offer an independent, patient investing approach and aim to deliver excellence in any environment. We uphold our fiduciary responsibility to every shareholder, no matter how big or small.
At Ariel, we strongly believe that teamwork yields results—which is why we have Co-CEOs. John Rogers and Mellody Hobson share a desire to cultivate leaders who are curious, focused and disciplined. We are nimble and efficient. Our drive is fanatical and intentional. Everyone plays their position and each contribution is critical to our firm’s success. We seek subject matter experts who are unapologetically themselves. We encourage our employees to reach their full potential and we give them the runway to do so.
After nearly four decades of active investing, we remain committed to our clients, our teammates and our community. We strive to be best-in-class investors and pioneer a path for those who entrust us with their financial future.
The Senior ESG Analyst will be a member of the Domestic Research team, responsible for researching current and potential investments and engaging companies to improve and advance sustainable business practices. This is a full-time position based in Chicago, IL and will report directly to the Director of ESG Investing.
Responsibilities will include:
- Research, monitor, and benchmark corporate sustainability policies, practices, and performance across material environmental, social, and governance issues
- Develop and deliver ESG training for Research Team
- Work closely with Domestic Research Analysts to assess ESG factors
- Conduct portfolio ESG risk analyses and lead other portfolio-wide strategic projects
- Use original and third party data to create ESG risk assessments
- Lead direct engagement with companies on a range of ESG issues
- Facilitate and participate in in-person and telephone meetings with management teams, write company or issue-specific letters, and coordinate ESG policy initiatives where appropriate
- Manage tracking and reporting of ESG engagement and impact
- Lead tracking and reporting of ESG research and engagement activities for both internal and external stakeholders
- Develop ESG-related marketing and client service materials, including issue and company case studies, white papers, client presentations, and website content
- Manage outside partnerships with NGO’s and other ESG-focused organizations such as CDP, Ceres, SASB, and the PRI
- Demonstrate a commitment to Ariel core values and behaviors