About the Organization
LOCUS Impact Investing is a national consultancy and advisory nonprofit firm providing a comprehensive set of tools to the increasing number of foundations and place-focused impact institutions looking for innovative ways to invest in and transform their local communities. LOCUS is a wholly owned subsidiary of the non-profit, VCC Social Enterprises. For more information about LOCUS visit: https://locusimpactinvesting.org/
VCC Social Enterprises
VCC Social Enterprises is a nonprofit holding company regulated by the Federal Reserve. VCC Social Enterprises is the parent organization for Virginia Community Capital, VCC Bank, and LOCUS Impact Investing. Virginia Community Capital (VCC) is a $275 million community development financial institution (CDFI) with a mission to create jobs, energize places, and promote an enhanced quality of life in our communities. With offices in Christiansburg, Norfolk, and Richmond, VCC offers innovative and flexible financing tools and professional advisory services to individuals and organizations in low-to-moderate income and underserved communities. VCC Bank is an FDIC-insured, certified bank offering products tailored to socially conscious investors, along with personal and business checking, savings, and certificate of deposit accounts. VCC is also a certified B Corp. VCC Bank is a majority-owned subsidiary of VCC Social Enterprises. Member FDIC. Equal Housing Lender. Learn more: www.vacommunitycapital.org
LOCUS seeks a Marketing & Communications Manager to lead the marketing and communications efforts of LOCUS and our affiliated brand, the Community Investment Guarantee Pool (CIGP). This position is a unique opportunity to set the vision, implement the strategy, and build the infrastructure for the marketing and communications efforts of a fast-growing, mission-aligned organization seeking to transform capital ecosystems throughout the country. The Manager will be part of the newly formed External Affairs Department at VCC but will be fully dedicated to and focused on LOCUS’ marketing and communications. This position is fully remote and part of a diverse team located across the Eastern seaboard. There will be limited, paid-for travel to attend VCC and LOCUS team meetings. The LOCUS Marketing & Communications Manager reports to the VCC Social Enterprises Corporate Marketing Director and works closely with the LOCUS President and leadership team.
The LOCUS Marketing & Communications Manager role is an exciting opportunity to help build the profile and promote the mission and work of a social enterprise focused on advancing three impact goals:
1) More impact investors and capital committed to place.
2) More impact capital deployed in communities.
3) More effective and equitable local impact investing practices.
The LOCUS Marketing & Communications Manager will be responsible for setting and implementing the vision and strategy for the brand, marketing, and communications of LOCUS and CIGP, ensuring the strategies align with and support business development efforts. The Manager will work across the LOCUS team and suite of services to ensure there is clear, concise, comprehensive, and compelling voice, messaging, and narrative about who LOCUS is, the services we offer, the clients we serve, the impact we have, and our unique value proposition. The Manager will build from and improve on the existing marketing infrastructure to deliver LOCUS’ content on a range of platforms to its audiences in a way that supports the organization’s business development efforts. The Manager will develop the content (articles, collateral, etc.) and determine the multi-channel strategy for promoting LOCUS’ services, impact, and thought leadership, as well as provide thought partnership and logistical support for the outreach that the service teams seeks to do.
There are several exciting communications initiatives we’re undertaking this year, including a website overhaul, campaign celebrating our five-year anniversary, and the release of our first impact report. The Manager will be responsible for overseeing all aspects of these initiatives, including leading a collaborative process to seek engagement and buy-in from the LOCUS team and other key stakeholders and the hiring and managing of vendors supporting these efforts (e.g., website design firm, freelance writer, etc.).
The role requires someone who is a self-starter with strong planning, project management, and stakeholder management skills, and an ability to quickly learn niche, technical concepts in the social-finance space. Applicants must also demonstrate strong copywriting/editing skills and be able to leverage creative platforms in delivering a message. This role will be internal facing, requiring the facilitation of dialogue between staff members in planning and executing marketing strategy.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Set the vision and strategy for LOCUS’ various brands, marketing efforts, and communications practices in partnership with the wider external communications team.
- Plan and execute marketing campaigns to grow LOCUS and CIGP profile and presence and that align with and support LOCUS and CIGP’s business development strategies and objectives.
- Refine LOCUS and CIGP’s messaging and narrative so it is clear, concise, and compelling, and speaks to the full breadth of LOCUS and CIGP’s work, impact, and client base.
- Develop and produce regular content for LOCUS and CIGP marketing channels, including but not limited to: blog articles, newsletters, social media posts, impact reports, case studies, website updates, multimedia, etc.
- Produce marketing documents for use by LOCUS business units, including but not limited to: one pagers, PowerPoints, website landing pages, public-facing reports, thought leadership, etc.
- Manage and maintain LOCUS and CIGP communications platforms, including by not limited to: websites, social media accounts, etc.
- Develop and track metrics to monitor the performance LOCUS and CIGP marketing efforts.
- Manage marketing and communications projects and the vendors recruited to support them.
- Assist with the execution and management of LOCUS and CIGP promotional events and webinars.
- Provide logistical support for business units in carrying out marketing and communications campaigns.
- Integrate and bridge brands and marketing and communication efforts across multiple business lines in larger multi-entity organization.
- Contribute to and align with the corporate VCC marketing strategy.
5+ years of experience in marketing and communications.
Experience developing marketing and communications strategies that support explicit impact and business development goals using trackable metrics.
- Experience developing and executing integrated marketing strategies, leveraging multiple platforms and channels, including but not limited to: email marketing, blogging, social media, SEO, digital content management (website), media relations.
- Ability to, with minimal editing, write clear, concise, and engaging copy using a consistent, brand-appropriate voice. (Writing samples required.)
- Ability to collaborate and facilitate communications with diverse internal and external stakeholders across multiple disciplines.
- Experience leveraging a variety of software applications and marketing tools. Proficiency in WordPress, MailChimp, Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Creative Cloud Suite a plus.
- Experience in impact investing, community development, philanthropy, and/or mission-driven organizations is a plus.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to self-start and multi-task with limited supervision.
- Ability to manage multiple brands simultaneously.
- Commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion values.
- Familiarity with thought leadership and inbound marketing techniques is a plus.
- Familiarity with asset-based framing/language is a plus.
LOCUS offers a competitive salary based on experience and skills, as well as an excellent benefits package including health, disability and life insurance, 401(k) savings plan with employer match, and paid time off. The Salary range for this position is $55,000 - $65,000 per year. In addition to salary, this position is eligible for a bonus if bonuses are paid in any given year.
Cover letter and writing sample required. Click link to apply or mail or fax resume with cover letter and writing sample to:
7814 Carousel Lane, Suite 100
Richmond, VA 23294
Fax: (804) 939-6180
LOCUS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. LOCUS does not discriminate in hiring or employment practices based on race, color, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, marital or familial status, national origin, non-job related disability, or status as a veteran.