Kiva (kiva.org) is an international nonprofit with a mission to expand financial access to help underserved communities thrive. We run a global marketplace platform to crowdfund microloans for financially excluded entrepreneurs, farmers and students around the world. Our organization combines the culture and technological passion of an internet start-up with the compassion and empathy of a non-profit to create impact and opportunity at global scale. Since 2005, we have raised more than $1.4 billion in loan capital for 3.6 million borrowers in 95 countries. Our lenders fund over $13 million in loans every month. With offices in San Francisco, Portland, New York, Nairobi, and Bangkok, Kiva's team includes 100+ employees and 400+ volunteers worldwide. Our team is growing as we pursue exciting new opportunities to create a financially inclusive world.
In 2019, Kiva launched Kiva Capital, our asset management subsidiary that manages impact-first return bearing vehicles for the world’s leading impact investors. Kiva Capital is looking for a talented and highly motivated senior professional to join our team in Portland, New York, San Francisco, Nairobi or Bogota.
The Managing Director will be responsible for leading the design, structuring and deployment of a new gender-lens impact investment fund. Kiva will use catalytic capital from USAID INVEST – an initiative that mobilizes private capital for better development results – to design the Kiva Invest in Women Fund (K-IWF), an innovative, gender smart investing vehicle. The geographic focus for this fund will be in Sub Saharan Africa and Latin America. This is an opportunity to join Kiva Capital in a leadership role at an early, pivotal stage as we look to dramatically scale the impact it can have in providing financial inclusion to underserved communities globally. The candidate will report to the Chief Investment Officer, and have close interaction with the Kiva.org investment team and other senior executives within Kiva. The candidate will be expected to grow their team as the fund develops. This is expected to be the first in a series of Gender Lens funds and the role is expected to build this franchise over time.
- Design, structure, deploy and manage the Kiva Invest in Women Fund, expected to be a $100M Fund with a targeted first close in late 2021.
- As a senior leader of Kiva Capital, build a team that can utilize and improve existing processes within Kiva to continue creating a best-in-class, institutional quality Impact Investment Firm.
- Tap into existing knowledge, experience and network to help craft Kiva Capital’s definition of gender lens investing as it pertains to financial service partners in emerging markets as well as social enterprises.
- In partnership with Kiva’s growing Impact team, design a set of measurement and evaluation tools to track success of the fund from an Impact perspective and how it aligns with the W-GDP Pillars for Women’s Economic Empowerment.
- Backed by an experienced and growing investment team on four continents, build a pipeline of Gender Smart investment opportunities in both financial services providers and social enterprises.
- With support from the Fund Operations Director (new role) and Kiva’s Senior Director of Strategic Investment and Investor Relations, manage a global listening tour to aid in the design of the fund. The listening tour will focus on understanding critical gaps in missing financing for target investees as well as understanding product gaps in the Gender Lens Investing space.
- In partnership with the broader impact investment team, help execute on a Global Learning Forum in 2021, bringing together leading stakeholders in the Gender Lens Investing Community.
- Lead a global investor roadshow ahead of the fund’s first close in late 2021.
- 15+ years experience in Impact Investing
- Background in Gender Smart investing
- Demonstrated expertise in Private Markets, preferably Private Credit and Emerging Markets Investing
- Fluency in fund structuring and fundraising
- Experience working with institutional investors, including Development Finance Institutions, Foundations, Donor Advised Fund sponsors and Registered Investment Advisors
- Ability to build and lead a geographically diverse, cross functional team and collaborate with a broad network of stakeholders to deliver on a demanding schedule of deliverables.
- Full professional fluency in Spanish or French a plus
What we offer:
- An opportunity to improve real lives, solve hard problems, and change the world
- Friendly, supportive, and adventurous environment with a team of engaged colleagues
- A comprehensive, industry-leading benefits package
- Opportunities to connect with and learn from colleagues and partners around the world
A diverse and inclusive workplace where we learn from each other is an integral part of Kiva's culture. We actively welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. We are an equal opportunity employer and a great place to work. Join us and help us achieve our mission!
We will only accept applications directly from candidates. Kiva will not be responsible for any recruiting agency fees, absent a formal agreement.