About the Organization
The Greater Milwaukee Foundation(GMF) is how Milwaukee works together. For over a century, we have helped generous people give back to the community. Together with donors and partners throughout the region, the Foundation invests in the potential of people and places, supports community-grown solutions and strives to end the systemic racism that holds our region back. Through the power of transformative philanthropy and social change, we are focused on shaping a future where everyone thrives –a Milwaukee for all.
You can make a difference, as we are seeking an Impact Investing Manager! The Impact Investing Manager is responsible for providing leadership to the overall program, working with external partners to leverage investment opportunities, promote and secure investments in the GMF impact investing pool and to source investments that advance the Foundation’s strategic priorities. This position manages deal identification and oversees underwriting, risk assessment, deal structuring and closing process. The Impact Investing Manager assists with fund development and, with Marketing and Communications, creation of marketing materials, articles and presentations on impact investing. The incumbent works closely with impact investing staff, leadership, the community at large, nonprofit and for-profit entities.
- Works with broad community networks to identify opportunities for impact investments that advance the Foundation’s strategic priorities.
- Oversees process for evaluation and analysis of impact investment deals to recommend for investment including underwriting, deal structuring, managing the closing process and providing portfolio management.
- Partners with President/CEO, Development and Philanthropic Services (DPS) staff and others to identify donors who have a passion and interest in impact investing and participates in solicitations with DPS staff.
- Identifies external prospects and public sector partners to invest in the impact investingpool, participates in the cultivation of those relationships and solicitation and securing of investments, in coordination with DPS.
- Works collaboratively with broad range of partners including donors, key stakeholders, funders, foundations, financial institutions and community organizations to promote impact investing as a tool to advance GMF’s mission.
- Represents GMF in public forums, expanding community outreach on impact investing and strategic priorities.
- Shares industry insights and best practices internally and externally, including conferences and relevant forums.
- Provides or recommends technical assistance to investees within the impact investing portfolio on financial health, financing needs, project feasibility, etc.
- Supports the developmentof communications (e.g. reports, case studies, research and social media) related to the impact investment work.
- Stays current on relevant research, indicator findings and national research on the impact investing industry, translating findings to the local context so it is relevant and useful.
- Manages Impact Investing Committee of the Board and technical subcommittee. Coordinates cross-functional internal impact investing team.
- Bachelor’s degree required in any of the following fields: finance, economics, real estate, urban planning, environment, law, nonprofit management, business administration; combination of relevant experience and training outside of traditional college program will be considered. Graduate degree preferred.
- Ten (10) or more years of professional experience in community development banking, finance, real estate development or corporate financerequired.
- Experience in community economic development, real estate development, private equity, community banking or community development financial institutions preferred. Experience in evaluating and loan underwriting desired, and established networks within the community preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to racial equity and inclusion.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to make effective and persuasive speeches and presentations on controversial or complex topics to top management, public groups and/or boards of directors.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from applicants, donors, stakeholders, partners, board members, managers and the general public.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, proof of auto insurance and reliable transportation.
- Criminal background and credit checks are required for this position.
Due to COVID-19, ouroffices are currently operating with employees working remotely. The successful candidate may be required to work remotely in the interim. We recognize that at this moment, during the pandemic, it is a uniquely difficult time for most people and we aim tobe as flexible and supportive as possible in both the recruitment for and onboarding of this position.
We offer an excellent benefit package, which includes health, dental, vision, flexible spending, life insurance, 403(b) retirement plan, paid time off (PTO), educational assistance and more!