About the Organization
Start Up Waco is a 501(c)(3) cross-sector collaborative of academic, business, civic and social sectors focused on creating and fostering the best ecosystem possible for entrepreneurs and businesses. Start Up Waco has placed inclusion at the forefront of our mission: we envision a future economy where all resources are completely accessible and available to anyone with talent and drive who wants to work hard, start a business and thrive.
About the Position
The Start Up Waco Board of Directors is searching for a dynamic Executive Director to lead the organization in realizing this ambitious, next-level vision. The Executive Director (ED) has responsibility for all strategic and operational aspects of Start Up Waco and reports to the Start Up Waco Board of Directors. The ED works with Start Up Waco’s Board to refine and implement the vision, values and strategic and annual plans established by the Board. The job includes oversight of Start Up Waco’s Hustle Co-working space as well as advising and supporting the development of future spaces. The ED will ensure there is a constant and smooth flow of communication among external partners, stakeholders, board members, corporate partners, Hustle members and entrepreneurs, and will act as a liaison among these various constituencies. The ED will cultivate existing relationships with strategic partners and public and private funders, including key relationships with economic development groups, city councils and new potential partners. The ED is responsible for creating a pipeline for bringing new talent and strategic relationships into the startup community, including potential entrepreneurs, mentors, angel investors, venture capitalists and corporate partners. This person will be accountable for the culture and growth of the entrepreneurial sector in Waco, and their success will depend significantly on their ability to work effectively with a broad array of partners and populations.
The ultimate success of Start Up Waco will be measured by the number of entrepreneurial businesses that are launched in relation to Start Up Waco as well as the ability of Waco to develop and retain a reasonable number of those businesses. The businesses developed and supported by Start Up Waco should reflect the demographics of the community.
- Promote a culture of collaboration, inclusivity and diversity.
- Be actively involved in programs, events, expansions, member activities and all operational services.
- Develop a broad and deep knowledge of all programs to ensure impact of mission.
- Act as a key resource and educator regarding the current state of Waco’s entrepreneurial sector and ecosystem among many constituencies.
- Publicly represent Start Up Waco with external constituency groups, including community, governmental and private organizations, and build awareness around Start Up Waco’s brand and mission. This includes media opportunities, public speaking engagements, etc.
- Identify, develop and recruit leading educational programs, speakers, mentors, capital resources and public media opportunities.
- Manage the Hustle Co-working space.
Finance and Fundraising:
- Manage all aspects of the organization’s business, including accounting, corporate records and tax filings.
- Prepare and manage an annual operational budget, manage effectively within this budget and report accurately on progress made and challenges encountered.
- Cultivate and secure sponsors.
- Maintain existing relationships with funders, donors and sponsors to secure and expand recurring revenue streams.
- Track all sponsors and obligations, cultivate a close relationship with sponsors, develop a sponsorship pipeline, etc.
- Develop and implement a staffing plan for the organization and recruit, hire, develop and coach all Start Up Waco employees.
- Facilitate the meetings and work of the Board of Directors. o Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Travel occasionally and coordinate trips for the Board and key constituencies to attend conferences and site visits.
Required Skills & Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree
- A minimum of five years of senior level management or startup organization experience
- Commitment to equity and inclusion in Waco
- Successful resource development, fundraising and philanthropy experience
- A solid knowledge of accounting, budgeting, financial management and marketing
- Extensive experience in leading the process of ongoing strategic planning
- Extensive experience in public speaking/public relations
- An entrepreneurial spirit, preferably including experience developing and implementing public-private partnerships to achieve community-wide social and economic goals.
- Demonstrated commitment to equity and inclusion in prior experiences
- Two years of previous executive leadership experience
- Significant experience in a major public-private partnership
- Experience managing a physical space
- Prior experience as an entrepreneur.
Desired start date: June 2019. First set of resumes to be reviewed on March 29, 2019. Initial interviews scheduled for April.
Salary is competitive with similar positions in the field. Compensation will be commensurate with talent and experience and will be suited to a senior leadership level professional in the rapidly expanding Waco economy.
More information about the opportunity and the Waco community is available at http://startupwaco.com/executivedirector/
. Interested applicants should a send resume, cover letter and salary requirements to [email protected]
. Candidates selected for final interviews will submit a salary history.