Director/Senior Director, Communications
Mission Investors Exchange (MIE) is the leading impact investing network for foundations, philanthropic asset owners, and their partners dedicated to deploying capital for social and environmental change. With over 250 members, MIE leverages its expertise and resources to provide foundations with the education, inspiration, and connections to align more assets to mission. Members rely on MIE and each other for best practices, new investment opportunities, deal partnerships, and innovations in the practice of impact investing around the world.
The Role and Opportunity
The Director or Senior Director of Communications will be a key partner in shaping the strategic direction of our communications function and be the primary lead for the day-to-day management of our communication and marketing processes. Communications and marketing is a critical function to MIE’s ability to build and activate our network of foundations, other philanthropic asset owners, and their partners. This position will report to the Chief Operating Officer and play an active role in increasing the organization’s visibility, helping to evolve MIE’s outreach, member engagement, and overall organizational strategy with a keen eye to growth and meeting member needs.
This is an ideal opportunity for an entrepreneurial and strategic leader with strong experience in communications and marketing, as well as philanthropy and/or impact investing to influence the growth and development of a unique and influential community of philanthropic impact investors.
Communications & Marketing
- Design high-impact communications and marketing opportunities including a monthly newsletter and email communications
- Collaborate with MIE leadership and its diverse membership base to drive a cohesive content strategy including the development and maintenance of our resource libraries
- Support the management of public relations for MIE to increase visibility of the organization
- Support MIE’s member and field knowledge and communications work in collaboration with the SVP of Member Experience and SVP of Programs—developing, collecting, curating, and promoting the robust tools, resources, and case studies that practitioners need and will be inspired by
- Direct social media efforts of various social networks including Twitter and LinkedIn
- Lead the updating and refinement of MIE’s web presence with our technology partners, including content development, beta-tests, roll-out and engagement of members around new functionalities
Strategy and Planning
- Oversee the translation of strategy into operational marketing and communication plans that are focused and feasible
- Strategize and collaborate with the Member Experience and Programs teams to develop messaging for services and programs
- Develop MIE’s “voice of the field” leadership strategy and communications opportunities to promote thought leadership (e.g., SSIR series), including partnering to create and promote MIE’s signature National Conference.
- Track the performance of communications and marketing strategies implemented and come up with timely modifications
- Represent MIE externally to members and the broader impact investing community;
- speaking and providing thought leadership at industry events.
- Lead the development and achievement of quarterly Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) for the communications and marketing workstream
- Oversee MIE’s communications and marketing budget, tracking expenses and ensuring programs are effectively delivered within budget
- Manage the day-to-day of communications and marketing staff, as well as consultants
- Actively engage in the internal use of project management and communication systems
Professional Experience & Qualifications
- 10+ years of professional experience
- Demonstrated experience in the communications and marketing function, including developing newsletters, email marketing, and social media postings
- Excellent writing and editorial skills
- Experience working with philanthropic and/or impacting investing partners and practitioners ideal
- Passion for addressing social and environmental challenges and an appreciation for the power of investment capital to play a catalytic role in this process
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Customer/client focused mindset
- Exceptional strategic thinking skills and a high level of intellectual curiosity
- Exceptional organizational skills, attention to detail, with an ability to execute against a workplan to deliver high-quality and timely outputs
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, along with diplomacy, tact, and good humor
- Proactive, self-starter with an entrepreneurial mindset who is a creative problem-solver
- Experience in a fast-paced environment with a proven ability to manage multiple ongoing projects at the same time
- Maintains an interest in seeking feedback and new information to strengthen own performance and that of team
- Ability to travel domestically occasionally
- Experience with technical platforms such as Pardot and Drupal preferred
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Salesforce (or other CRM), Slack, and Asana (or similar project management tool)
- Bachelor’s degree and advanced degree in a related field preferred
A candidate may be considered for a Senior Director role based on their experience. The hiring range for this position is $100,000 - $150,000. MIE offers a competitive salary for this position, commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and a 403(b) retirement plan with matching, along with other elective options.
Korn Ferry is leading this search for MIE. To apply for this role, please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the subject line "Director/Senior Director, Communications".
MIE stands firmly with communities and organizations calling for an end to racial injustice and systemic anti-Black racism. In this moment of truth for the impact investing movement, MIE is looking inward with honesty and humility, holding itself accountable for change, and promoting racial equity in staff recruitment and assessment. Click here for MIE’s full racial equity statement — including actions MIE is taking now as an organization.