Director, Member Experience
Mission Investors Exchange (MIE) is the leading impact investing network for foundations, philanthropic asset owners, and their partners dedicated to deploying capital for social and environmental change. With over 250 members, MIE leverages its expertise and resources to provide foundations with the education, inspiration, and connections to align more assets to mission. Members rely on MIE and each other for best practices, new investment opportunities, deal partnerships, and innovations in the practice of impact investing around the world.
The Role and Opportunity
The Director of Member Experience will be a key partner in shaping the strategic direction of our member services, and be the primary lead for the day-to-day management of our membership processes. Member engagement is central to MIE’s ability to build our robust and activated network of foundations, philanthropic asset owners, and their partners. The Director will report to the Senior Vice President of Member Experience and Partnerships and play an active role in leading the organization’s growth, helping to evolve MIE’s membership model with a keen eye to members’ needs and experiences throughout all of our programmatic, knowledge and communication, and match-making workstreams.
This is an ideal opportunity for an entrepreneurial and strategic leader with strong experience in member engagement, philanthropy, and/or impact investing to influence the growth and development of a unique and influential community of philanthropic impact investors.
Strategy and Planning
Lead the ongoing review of membership criteria and growth goals in alignment with organizational strategy
Support the development and ongoing refinement of MIE’s member services and engagement strategy, ensuring responsiveness to the market and alignment with organizational strategy
Oversee translation of strategy into operational plans that are focused and feasible; set and implement short-term and long-term milestones and goals for membership
Lead the development and achievement of quarterly Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) for the membership workstream
Lead the full membership prospecting cycle, from member prospect identification through cultivation, application, acceptance, and onboarding, including associated research and analysis
Direct efforts to achieve annual membership targets, including goals associated with new members, revenue, and retention. This includes driving the annual membership campaign in collaboration with team members
Lead orientation calls in collaboration with other team members, including learning about member needs and impact investing programs and providing information about MIE’s staff, programs, and benefits of membership. Strategize how to connect members with the broader MIE team and membership
Lead the member experience team in utilizing technology systems for membership tracking, prospecting, and analysis including managing the build-out of systems for better information sharing among MIE members and the MIE team
Member Engagement & Relationship Management
Serve as a primary point of contact for key stakeholders at member organizations
Develop and maintain relationships with potential members who are already in the impact investing field or who are looking to get started for membership recruitment
Provide ongoing insights that will match members with appropriate resources, communications, and programming
Lead the collection of monthly member news through ongoing member check-ins and news media monitoring
Monitor and contribute to the member inquiry process and other member communication streams, such as a listserv
Represent MIE in meetings with stakeholders and at industry events, in both individual and group settings
Support the execution of member meetings, working groups, gatherings, and events
- Oversee member portal inquiries and internal Salesforce needs related to membership
- Actively engage in the internal use of project management and communication systems
- Manage the work streams of junior staff and consultants
Professional Experience & Qualifications
- 8+ years of professional experience
- Experience working with philanthropic partners/ practitioners ideal
- Experience in the membership services context ideal
- Passion for addressing social and environmental challenges and an appreciation for the power of investment capital to play a catalytic role in this process
- Knowledge of investment issues and processes, especially impact investing
- Demonstrated experience building and maintaining relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders across different geographies
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion
- Customer/client focused mindset
- Exceptional strategic thinking skills and a high level of intellectual curiosity
- Exceptional organizational skills, attention to detail, with an ability to execute against a workplan to deliver high-quality and timely outputs
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills, along with diplomacy, tact, and good humor
- Proactive, self-starter with an entrepreneurial mindset who is a creative problem-solver
- Experience in a fast-paced environment with a proven ability to manage multiple ongoing projects at the same time
- Flexibility to work both collaboratively and independently
- Maintains an interest in seeking feedback and new information to strengthen own performance and that of team
- Ability to travel domestically
- Experience with Microsoft Office, Salesforce (or other CRM), Asana (or similar project management tool), and Slack (or a similar communication platform); technology systems and data visualization experience ideal
- Bachelor’s degree and advanced degree in a related field preferred
The salary range for this position is $90,000 - $120,000. MIE offers a competitive salary for this position, commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, and a 403(b) retirement plan with matching, along with other elective options.
Korn Ferry is leading this search for MIE. To apply for this role, please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] with the subject line "Director, Member Experience".
MIE stands firmly with communities and organizations calling for an end to racial injustice and systemic anti-Black racism. In this moment of truth for the impact investing movement, MIE is looking inward with honesty and humility, holding itself accountable for change, and promoting racial equity in staff recruitment and assessment. Click here for MIE’s full racial equity statement — including actions MIE is taking now as an organization.