The Nathan Cummings Foundation is a multigenerational family foundation, rooted in the Jewish tradition of social justice and committed to creating a more just, vibrant, sustainable, and democratic society. As a family foundation, the Board of Trustees is actively engaged in the affairs of the Foundation. Located in New York City, the Foundation's grantmaking is concentrated in the U.S. with a history of support in Israel and is focused on four key areas: an inclusive, clean economy; racial and economic justice; voice, creativity and culture; and corporate and political accountability. The Foundation has also expanded its approaches beyond grantmaking through a strong fellowship program and impact investing. The Foundation encourages creative thinking and individual growth in a work environment where all employees, no matter their gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, education, disability, genetic information or background are valued and respected.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Director, Finance and Accounting will play a mission-critical role in fulfilling the finance function's three pillars: 1) supporting institutional decision making; 2) ensuring organizational integrity and compliance; 3) being responsive to the needs from the Foundation's staff and board. Serving as a day-to-day manager of the finance and accounting function, the Director will work with the VP to develop and refine the Foundation's financial systems and processes. The Director will also lead all accounting activities, ensuring the quality and accuracy of all financial reporting.
The Director will report directly to the VP, Finance and will manage the Staff Accountant (part-time).
- Support and advise VP, Finance and Foundation staff on all financial planning and decision making
- Create models and other tools that enable staff and board members to make sound, data-driven financial decisions
- Work closely with grants management team and support program team, as needed
- Support annual and multi-year budget processes, ensuring that activities are forecasted and reported appropriately, and that variances are tracked, justified, and reported throughout the year
- Establish and track key metrics for success; design tools to measure financial health
- Conduct financial analysis, advising colleagues on resource allocation, operational planning and other strategic questions
- Participate in and help to design finance and audit committee meetings
- Regularly present complex financial information to internal and external stakeholders
- Develop and implement financial processes and procedures that reflect the Foundation's commitment to equity and inclusion
- Lead accounting operations with a commitment to excellence and a service orientation, ensuring the execution of operational finance activities (e.g., management of accounts payable and receivable, reporting) and oversight of payroll
- Manage the preparation of annual financial statements and tax returns, collaborating with external accountant and other vendors, as appropriate
- Lead all activities associated with the annual audit, working closely with the Foundation's independent auditors; prepare materials for the audit presentation and advise Foundation leadership on recommendations to the Board
- Maintain strong financial controls; ensure the integrity, accuracy and usefulness of all financial processes and reports
- Support and advise staff on agreements and contracts, ensuring IRS regulations are met and procurement policies are followed
- Oversee staff accountant to ensure grant and vendor records are maintained with required and appropriate documentation, payments are processed in a timely manner, and necessary approvals are in place
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- 10+ years of professional experience, with 5+ years of team leadership experience
- Alignment with the Nathan Cummings Foundation mission and core values
- Strong financial fluency; demonstrated ability to conduct financial analysis and support strategic decision-making
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse team, building relationships and acting as a thought partner to stakeholders across the organization
- Strategic thinking, critical analysis, and problem-solving skills
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills with an overall execution orientation and high attention to detail
- Ability to craft thoughtful and engaging written communications and ability to explain simple and complex financial situations to staff and partners
- Technical savvy and appreciation for innovative technology solutions, with an ability to work across multiple accounting systems and other IT applications; experience with and ability to work in Sage Intacct is preferred
- Strong customer service orientation
- Collegial and empathic approach to working with others, while bringing a creative, flexible and thoughtful approach to one's work
- Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree, and/or CPA, CGMA preferred
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
Salary and benefits will be competitive and commensurate with experience.
The Nathan Cummings Foundation is an equal opportunity employer that participates in fair-chance hiring practices, and candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. As an organization deeply committed to diversity of experience, NCF values and welcomes candidates from a wide range of personal and professional backgrounds, including community-based organizations, policy organizations, government, national nonprofits, or the private sector.